The Modelling Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:00 am

Anyone wanna send some links to images in the kinda style you want the orc tents?

I fancy doing some modelling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:13 am

SGMonkey wrote:
Anyone wanna send some links to images in the kinda style you want the orc tents?

I fancy doing some modelling

I'll make and send you some screens from orc tents in Two Worlds and Gothic 2. Both are different and we have to choose the best style for Skyrim Orc Tents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Do the Orks use tents in any of the previous games?
Or are there any descriptions in writing anywhere on the imperial library for example which states what their like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:50 pm

I disagree completely about object count not being a problem. IMO, it's a big problem.
Most people use MGE with high distant statics. And in haafinheim I get a huge fps drop with just 4 cells of distant statics.
Everywhere else I've been is fine, it's just haafinheim. Also you told me that creatures (bears IIRC) can't fight correctly because of the high amount of objects.

When something affects gameplay and fps it really needs to be altered.
You don't even have to make it less 'foresty', just space out the trees a little more, and have dense clumps of trees and spacings here and there, hell it'd look better that way than having rows of trees (which look kind of blank). You could even use bigger trees so you have bigger spacings inbetween.

Sorry if I sound rude, I just need to get my thoughts out about this subject (haafinheim only really), and how everyone seems to be dismissing it. Mad

There are orc encampments, in which nomadic, traditional orcs live. No descriptions IIRC.
About the orcish tents, let's do something different than stereotypical orc tents. Something more nomadic than barbarian. What a Face

I've got a couple of pictures I liked from suggestions at the BGSF for them too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I just made this:

It's a larger variation of the tree on the right side.
Both trees are scaled to 2.0
rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Wow, that looks great Muspila! We needed a larger spruce tree, thanks! What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks. Smile
I guess you can remove this point from the ToDo-List then.
Lestat now has got 3 larger pines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:30 pm

dirnae wrote:
I disagree completely about object count not being a problem. IMO, it's a big problem.
Most people use MGE with high distant statics. And in haafinheim I get a huge fps drop with just 4 cells of distant statics.
Everywhere else I've been is fine, it's just haafinheim. Also you told me that creatures (bears IIRC) can't fight correctly because of the high amount of objects.

You don't even have to make it less 'foresty', just space out the trees a little more, and have dense clumps of trees and spacings here and there, hell it'd look better that way than having rows of trees (which look kind of blank). You could even use bigger trees so you have bigger spacings inbetween.

Sorry if I sound rude, I just need to get my thoughts out about this subject (haafinheim only really), and how everyone seems to be dismissing it.

FIXED
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:30 am

dirnae wrote:

Sorry if I sound rude, I just need to get my thoughts out about this subject (haafinheim only really), and how everyone seems to be dismissing it. Mad

There are orc encampments, in which nomadic, traditional orcs live. No descriptions IIRC.
About the orcish tents, let's do something different than stereotypical orc tents. Something more nomadic than barbarian. What a Face

I've got a couple of pictures I liked from suggestions at the BGSF for them too.

I agree with you, object count is more of a problem than poly count. It's more a problem of spacing between tree's and such, it needs to be just right for creatures to be able to fight and not look too sparse.

And for the poly count. It can really cause problems in the CS, ive only noticed this with the houses though, thats all. And i think at some point it would be worthwhile fixing some of them up. NOT A BIG PROBLEM. I just think it should be done at some point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:53 pm

So who's going to do this then? Yesterday Lestat seemed to be slightly pissed off as he has been overhauling that area like 5-8 times yet.

And there's work of weeks and months in that forest.
So it may be worth thinking of solutions that are not about redoing everything. For example we were able to increase the framerate there by about 50% by thinning the foliage of the trees and combining the single foliage-pieces into one which also didnt seem to harm the look of the forest too much from the players perspective. The semi-transparent layers always seemed to be one main reason for framerate-drops to me.

On the other hand I see that

-no large creatures can walk through there
-the forest may be an extreme contrast to the other landscapes around, although I cant say this for sure yet.
-the forest is an extreme contrast to how forests are in the original game. Is it fitting to have such a dense forest when there are no comparable counterpieces elsewhere? Should Skyrim maybe blend in better with the original game, particularly bloodmoon, or are we entirely going for new optics?
-the forest in the worst case might end up as a clueless bunch of trees when there's too little actual playing content (tombs, ruins, caves) besides the many trees in there.
-the whole forest only features a single kind of tree although we have a much wider range of trees (also conifere-ones) in the areas around.
-why is a tree from Solstheim (although these trees can't be the same trees anymore with that kind of bark) the dominant tree in a mostwestern part of Skyrim?
-AFAIK there is no backround in lore for such a magnificant forest.

The reason why I'm going with Lestat though is that I have never had the pretension that the Skyrim we are making is THE Skyrim.
And I didn't see it worth to be too anal here as what we are making is forced to be our personal perception of the thing.

What's my perception of a lore-friendly Skyrim?
A Skyrim that blends in with the original game as the Morrowind of TR does. A Skyrim that very much resembles Solstheim and which doesn't feature mountains that are larger than the red mountain. If we were modding Oblivion, Skyrim would again need to be different as the Jerall Mountains were the departing point for us and not Solstheim. Oblivion has more vertical landscapes, Morrowinds Landscapes are wider and flatter and more cluttered with rocks. Oblivion has Speedtrees, Morrowinds trees are no billboards, rather standing as independend individuals than making the player feel as the center of the world.

It wouldn't be a Skyrim that is about our preferences of how it should look but rather our sincerest tries to make the Skyrim that belongs to the game Morrowind.
In that way I think we are going to make a Skyrim that doesn't contradict the theoretical lore but transmits a very different looking and feeling compared to the original game. If we were to follow the lines of the orignal game, Solstheim, and also to a certain extent the west gash would be our departing points. Then we would also be using more vanilla meshes rather than using our each version of each thing.

I believe its not the Skyrim Lestat wants to make...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Muspila wrote:

It wouldn't be a Skyrim that is about our preferences of how it should look but rather our sincerest tries to make the Skyrim that belongs to the game Morrowind.
In that way I think we are going to make a Skyrim that doesn't contradict the theoretical lore but transmits a very different looking and feeling compared to the original game. If we were to follow the lines of the orignal game, Solstheim, and also to a certain extent the west gash would be our departing points. Then we would also be using more vanilla meshes rather than using our each version of each thing.

I believe its not the Skyrim Lestat wants to make...

I remember the excessive use of Vanilla Meshes is also the opposite what you aiming for. Question I remember the nights when we talked about the unique and different look of every hold a few month ago.

I guess we shouldn't look similar to Vvardenfell, cause we ARE NOT Vvardenfell of Morrowind in general. I don't think that any Tamriel Provience is looking similar to Vvardenfell.

I also appreciate that both Cyrodill Projects and Argonia don't follow the Vanilla Style. If all those Province Mods will be finished someday it will give the player an authentic feeling of steping in a new Provience...I my opinion it's better than the player feels like "Oh, I'm still on Vvardenfell, just a few thousand miles more west"

To the Forest in Haafinheim:

It isn't actually a contrast to the rest of the landscape...it's just a big contrast to the south of The Reach which is my other main focus at the moment, but that's more than reasonable cause the landscape in Denmark or Norway looks also different if you compare it to the landscape of North Italy or France
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Quote :
I remember the excessive use of Vanilla Meshes is also the opposite what you aiming for. Question I remember the nights when we talked about the unique and different look of every hold a few month ago.

I guess we shouldn't look similar to Vvardenfell, cause we ARE NOT Vvardenfell of Morrowind in general. I don't think that any Tamriel Provience is looking similar to Vvardenfell.

Very right.
I was rather refering to different Solstheim and Skyrim. And the Westgash in many places looks nordic-influenced with Heather, Roobush and StoneFlower growing there.
It's the sparingness that both Skyrim and Morrowind should share in some parts.

I didnt want to say we should be less unique.
I only think we should maintain a connection to the game thats already there and what you get to see from the nords there.

I really love the following screens
For me this is how the eastern part of Skyrim should look.

http://morrowind-skyrim.com/The%20Reach/6fea4c7thereach16.jpg
http://morrowind-skyrim.com/The%20Reach/6b0cbc41ingameagr1.jpg
http://morrowind-skyrim.com/The%20Reach/3e299260thereach14.jpg
http://morrowind-skyrim.com/The%20Reach/2de68535ingameagr1.jpg
<3 <3 <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 am

Muspila wrote:
Quote :

Very right.
I was rather refering to different Solstheim and Skyrim. And the Westgash in many places looks nordic-influenced with Heather, Roobush and StoneFlower growing there.
It's the sparingness that both Skyrim and Morrowind should share in some parts.

I didnt want to say we should be less unique.
I only think we should maintain a connection to the game thats already there and what you get to see from the nords there.

I really love the following screens
For me this is how the eastern part of Skyrim should look.

http://morrowind-skyrim.com/The%20Reach/6fea4c7thereach16.jpg
http://morrowind-skyrim.com/The%20Reach/6b0cbc41ingameagr1.jpg
http://morrowind-skyrim.com/The%20Reach/3e299260thereach14.jpg
http://morrowind-skyrim.com/The%20Reach/2de68535ingameagr1.jpg
<3 <3 <3

That not very far away from what I have planned to do in the eastmarch...The color sheme is very similar, also we could use Roobush, Heather and Stoneflower in that region...The land is much more rugged and changes between mountains and deep valleys. Snow is old in the higher areas of the Eastmarch and the forest in that hold is not very dense and much more rocky.

Btw, I think we should continue this discussion in another Thread than the Modeling Thread Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:05 am

Hmm... i hope this aggressiveness isn't aimed towards me. All I was doing is suggesting something. I know your not aiming to make skyrim how you think other people want it to look. But there's no use in throwing a wobbly if someone suggests something.

I personally have no problem with the way things are looking and the way the game performs when in Skyrim. I was simply referring to what dirnae said about certain creatures not being able to fight. If you think that's a problem and you want to change it then go for it. But if you have other ways of tackling the issue then do that.

I'm not gonna stick around if people start arguing with each other over little things like this
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 am

SGMonkey wrote:
Hmm... i hope this aggressiveness isn't aimed towards me. All I was doing is suggesting something. I know your not aiming to make skyrim how you think other people want it to look. But there's no use in throwing a wobbly if someone suggests something.

I personally have no problem with the way things are looking and the way the game performs when in Skyrim. I was simply referring to what dirnae said about certain creatures not being able to fight. If you think that's a problem and you want to change it then go for it. But if you have other ways of tackling the issue then do that.

I'm not gonna stick around if people start arguing with each other over little things like this

I don't think that there is aggressiveness in the upper posts...if it is, it isn't meant to be aggressive or aimed to anybody...to me it seems more like a general discussion about pro's and. con's Vanilla Morrowind VS. "Oblivion" Morrowind and all I said is that I can't stand the 2002 Vanilla Morrowind Style in 2010 after Games like Gothic 3, Assassins Creed or Oblivion.

Neither Muspila nor me are aiming to you or someone else, even if the style of conversion in this forum is a little bit rude sometimes.

Last edited by Lestat DeLioncourt on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:19 am

Well that's ok then Smile

Anyway Lestat, ive got all day to do nothing. So would you mind sending me some idea's of the sorta things you want modelling for the orc tents?

I've mocked up a couple of designs so far so i can modify which ever one best suits the sorta thing your looking for
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:21 am

SGMonkey wrote:
Well that's ok then Smile

Anyway Lestat, ive got all day to do nothing. So would you mind sending me some idea's of the sorta things you want modelling for the orc tents?

I've mocked up a couple of designs so far so i can modify which ever one best suits the sorta thing your looking for

I'll send you some screens later today, first I have to search them in the endless chaos on my hard drive Mad

Last edited by Lestat DeLioncourt on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:22 am

Ha, that's cool. I'll work on trees instead then Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:58 am

BTW, any advice on getting the trees to work properly? As in the planes always face you?
Dirnae said just use blender, but im not a fan of it atall. And surely there's a way to do this in 3ds max

Ive got some nice looking variations in 3ds max but they look rubbish in morrowind and its really ruining my creativity Sad

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:14 am

No offense intended Monkey. I wanted to defend Lestat but then attacked him more than you did.

Quote :
BTW, any advice on getting the trees to work properly? As in the planes always face you?
When I made them, the surface must be pointed along the local z-axis of a foliage-object.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:18 am

Uh? I wasn't mean to attack anyone Sad

Razz

Anyway, silly matters aside.

Do you mean, when you model the object in 3ds max, all the planes must be parallel on the z axis?

Because at the minute, all i have in game is the planes where they were in 3ds max, they don't move at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:35 am

sorry

I assume I can't offer much help then. :S
I was referring to how I needed to make it in Blender. There, in order to make the exporter recognize that an object is supposed to be Billboard I also needed to attach a "TrackTo"-Constraint to it. And the surface of each foliage object needed to face upwards its own Z-axis

But, as said, thats just how to make it in Blender. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:37 am

Ahh ok, looks like i'll have to have a go with bender! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:17 am

Hey all, just made a quick concept for an orc tent

https://2img.net/h/i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm449/DDevilMonkey_666/SKYRIM/TESConstructionSet2010-03-1017-07-2.jpg

If anyone has any objections to the size or shape or anything please let me know. And ill start refining the shape and adding details Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 am

SGMonkey wrote:
Hey all, just made a quick concept for an orc tent

https://2img.net/h/i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm449/DDevilMonkey_666/SKYRIM/TESConstructionSet2010-03-1017-07-2.jpg

If anyone has any objections to the size or shape or anything please let me know. And ill start refining the shape and adding details Smile

It looks cool, very similar as on the Two Worlds Screenshots

Good job cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Modelling Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Modelling Thread
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next