Share | 

Haafingar - Further Discussion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Haafingar - Further Discussion   Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:32 am

One more thread. This is for brainstorming on several things regarding Haafingar and the surrounding area.

The lore-thread about Haafingar is to be found here

Haafingar is going to be a pretty large city. So there are plenty of things we should talk about:

Those are among others

-factions
-important persons
-political affairs
-buildings
-and eventually quests

Last edited by Muspila on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Haafingar - Further Discussion   Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:36 pm

A few Ideas for Haafingar:

-Several competing meadhouses.
-crafter's halls, a bit similar to the ones in Vivec. There should be crafting halls that deal with carpenting and any sort of wood work eg. Ship yards are certainly a must.
-An imperial merchant corporation similar to the eastern trading company having large depositories in the town.
-Many imperial interests
-imperial guilds.
-richer and poorer districts.
-criminality

-In any case we should not forget the Bard's college. For further information look at the lore thread.
-The king of Haafingar and his following should play an important rule and compete to the imperial presence.
-Haafingar is probably a headquarter for the Hormer.

It's not much, I know and it's quite basic what I'm writing here, but those are some of the fields we should deal with.
It's a large, and wealthy trading city. And it's an unusual city for the nords.
Much less traditional and conservative but rather cosmopolitan and modern.
The whole west of Skyrim tends to be more cosmopolitan than the center or the east.
So many of the attributes mentioned could also be attached to cities like eg. Amberguard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Haafingar - Further Discussion   Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Factions I suppose could be:

-Imperial guilds
-Hormer (can't join if you're in the imperial legion in Skyrim)
-Imperial Legion
-King's guard
-Bard's College

Any more will be too much work imo, and if they are to be added, they should be added later.
The Imperial guilds, Hormer and legion quests would be spread out all over Skyrim.

Ideas for quests:

You'd need a bounty to join the hormer, to show you're no friend of the legion, or alternatively to have killed a guard or something.
Hormer would undermine the legion, steal this, kill this man etc. I assume they'd want to avoid attention from the Legion if they are IN the city.
Highest ranked quest could be given here if it's their headquarters, which would be to kill all the Imperial Legion captains, or to take over a (small, isolated) legion fort, or something like that.

I don't think the Imperial Legion would have a large garrison in Haafinger, but if there was a quest there, it'd be find the HeadQuarters of the Hormer, and kill their leader (highest ranked quest).

King's Guard: Most of these would be simple quests expected of a guard, such as, track down this thief, find the culprit etc.

Undermining the legion in various ways would be high ranked quests, these could include annexing Imperial locations, and possibly poisoning the captain of the imperial guard (there's a similar quest in Daggerfall given by a noble, where you have to poison another noble, so i wouldn't put this beneath the King, this would be a high-rank quest).

The Bard's College I'm not exactly sure about, what do these guys actually do? Just play instruments? Perhaps make them a non-joinable faction for now, and have them give some miscellaneous quests.

Imperial guilds I'm not sure about either.

I think we should make sure the quests are made, so they would not become major issues or seem like they would affect other ES games, or we may run into lore conflicts. We can do this through rumours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Haafingar - Further Discussion   Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Quote :
The Bard's College I'm not exactly sure about, what do these guys actually do? Just play instruments? Perhaps make them a non-joinable faction for now, and have them give some miscellaneous quests.

Quote :
[...]The home of the famous Bards' College, Haafingar is also one of Skyrim's chief ports, and ships from up and down the coast can be found at her crowded quays, loading timber and salted cod for the markets of Wayrest, West Anvil, and Senchal. Founded during Skyrim's long Alessian flirtation, the Bards' College continues to flaunt a heretical streak, and its students are famous carousers, fittingly enough for their chosen trade. Students yearly invade the marketplace for week of revelry, the climax of which is the burning of "King Olaf" in effigy, possibly a now-forgotten contender in the War of Succession. Graduates have no trouble finding employment in noble households across Tamriel, including the restored Imperial Court in Cyrodiil, but many still choose to follow in the wandering footsteps of illustrious alumni such as Callisos and Morachellis. [...]

When we are at a stage that we implement the Bard's College we should read up on the details mentioned in that text in order to have an idea about what they are about.
I hope I dont sound smart-alec here. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Haafingar - Further Discussion   Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:22 pm

So, according to that, not much. They drink a lot and have a festival once a year.

Bards are poets I think, and this is just a school for them, and they leave when they graduate.
So they don't really have much (if any) faction potential imo. We'll just have to get the dialogue and building sorted out and it should be fine.
Perhaps some miscellaneous quests done for them too. pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Haafingar - Further Discussion   

Back to top Go down

Haafingar - Further Discussion
Page 1 of 1