Altmer Ruins in the Reach

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm

That's good, as long as we can make some ruins smaller and some larger.

Well, I suggest one full sized ruin for now, with some funky quests around it and maybe a large hall with a large creature ( Twisted Evil ), then we'll chop up the mesh into peices and use the tower as well, to make smaller more easily completable ruins. Or else the altmer ruins will detract too much work away from other more important areas imo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yeti
Trader
Trader

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Sound's good to me. I'll get to work on some Concept art for Altmer clutter.

I loved collecting the Dwemer stuff in Morrowind's Dwemer ruins and I couldn't stand it in Oblivion
how the Alyied ruins had pratically nothing in them except generic loot No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:03 am

Minor update on the tent im making. Second time working on it as ive not been at my computer.

I'm struggling to think how to do the door, at the minute I think it looks shit. So im welcome to ideas and constructive criticism

Also, any idea's on what sort of details i should add would be great. Just can't seem to get my head straight at the minute and can't think what to do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:12 am

Wrong thread SGMonkey. tongue

Have some rope wrapped around the poles, so it looks like they ropes are tied on instead of just hanging as they are atm.
Other than that I can't think of anything. The wooden frame around the door looks a little strange, as it isn't supported by anything other than the ground.

We'll add other details through use of statics and clutter I guess.
Sounds good Yeti, I know a lot of people loved collecting dwemer artifacts. Perhaps you should talk to Muspila about it too, as he did the original concepts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:22 am

Hoho,
that's a lot of cuteness.

Excellent tent, Dave.
What I would like there, was some sort of orcish tapestry or banner-stuff that can be added to the sides of the tent.

And that Altmer-ruin is aaaawsome.
I've got nothing to add other than I would love to see the other elements (balcony, entrances, bridges) done for it.

@Yeti:
You are welcome to post any of your drawings here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 pm

I had the idea that these altmer-castles might mainly to be found in the dragon tail mountains, positioned on higher plateaus.

As for me I would not like to have the castles smaller than they are now as this would take away a bit of their stronghold-character.
And if we can position them along the dragon tail mountains, why cannot there be two or three larger ones?

I have an idea about the interior-tileset, which I would love if we could get it incorporated: A tileset that consists mainly of floors but also of a few halls.
The floor should have a high ceiling that is not arched nor cube-like. I thought of four, slightly rounded edges there.

Like this maybe:

Then there may be stone pillars that can be positioned in the center of the halls or as a detail to the floors. Such pillars are pretty usual, but they would look good.
And as for the gates and doors, I thought that the ones that are not magical would always be grate gates, like the door in the sketch on the first page here.

And I have a picture of two halls in mind that are connected via a large, broad grate gate thats blocked by wreckage but has a destroyed part you can walk through.
I don't see it as a problem if the interior of the castle outreaches the scale of the exterior-model, btw. That's just usual, I'd say.

Yeah, and I'm probably going to make some of those pieces. But I'll have to wait until after my A-level. Otherwise I'm gonna get too distracted. Razz
It may be a possibility that you already start to make some basic pieces and I'm going to extend beyond them later on when a base structure is already established. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:14 pm

It's not that I'm worried the interior wont fit in the stronghold, I know it will be bigger, it's the same with everything else in Morrowind, but that's what I'm worried about.
The interiors will be massive.

From what I've seen it looks like each ruin is going to be some badass 5 lvl dungeon. Do you know how long a dungeon that big takes to complete?
Because I'm not sure myself, but I assume, to get it finished to a good quality, it'd take a long time.

Perhaps Yeti could provide some insight, he's more experienced at interiors than I am (I've only made a few lumberjack houses for Lestat, that's it, and those took a while to make ).

When we've got 50-80 house interiors in each city to complete, I'm not eager to add 2 or 3 massive dungeons to the list, not until they're out of the way.
I know you have a vision of how you want them to be, and I don't want to be a killjoy, but I'm just trying to cut down the work and be realistic here. Neutral

Idk, how about we have 1 ruin for now, with a few smaller ones here and there, and then add more if we have time.

As for the interior, I'm not sure what you mean from that description, but I don't really mind you sorting them out anyway.
Btw can we get something out of the way before we discuss any further about this, how large are they actually going to be?
Can you post a screenshot of your player in 3rd person view next to the ruin?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:12 pm

dirnae wrote:
From what I've seen it looks like each ruin is going to be some badass 5 lvl dungeon. Do you know how long a dungeon that big takes to complete?

Don't worry about the size of the dungeon. We have a interior builder from Berlin who wants to do extra ordinary dungeons only...

The only question is: Is it worth to model an own tileset for 2-3 Aldmer ruins or is it better to take parts of the Dumner Stronghold Interior Meshes and modify them in Max till they look different and retexture them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:35 pm

In that case it's fine. Smile

I agree about editing the dumner fort tileset, I've got an idea to completely change it's look with little effort at all. What a Face
With the new doors you shouldn't be able to recognise it without studying the mesh.

However we'll make these large hall tiles Muspila is tallking about too, we can have the top level as a large hall in each ruin then I guess. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Excellent idea, mate Very Happy ,

To your upper post:

Not EVERY City willl have 50-80 Houses, only Capitals. That means:

- Markarth Side
- Haafingar (Solitude)
- Dawnstar
- Whiterun
- Windhelm
- Winterhold
- Riften
- Falkreath

The Number for normal towns should be 20-40 Houses and 8 - 15 Houses for Villages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yeti
Trader
Trader

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Big interiors can take a while. Thrignar Fraxis from Tamriel rebuilt spent two years working on Old Ebonheart Castle...
before it was decided recently that it was too uber and needed to be downscaled...

But if we have someone who wants to work on something big then I guess there's no problems.

I perfure (man I can't spell Laughing ) small interiors anyway.

Speaking of Tamriel Rebuilt: Once the TR website is back up and running, it would be great if you could
quickly head over there Dirnae. The files for that Argonian-plant-creature-thing you did for us somehow got lost
We were wondering if you have them handy. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:55 am

Quote :
I agree about editing the dumner fort tileset, I've got an idea to completely change it's look with little effort at all. What a Face
No.
Let me make this if you don't feel like putting effort into something.
Really, I wonder why Lestat has already forgotten what we talked about recently in Skype and already agrees.

Edit: I have something I envision for these interior pieces that can't be achieved by simply changing the dunmer-stronghold-set.
I'd prefer if you made some detailling on my tileset as soon as I have some basic shapes set up. I would prefer that, really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:17 am

Well, it'd be effort still, I just wouldn't be going as far as making another tileset from scratch, and the changes I was thinking or making would make them unnoticeable.
However, like I said in Skype just, if you're willing to put the work into it then I have no problem with it. Smile

@Yeti: you mean prefer? tongue
I'll see if I've still got it over the weekend, but wasn't my latest version posted on the forums anyway? Neutral
Tbh if I do find it I'll probably get depressed by my lame ass max skills from way back then and revamp it first.

2 years for Old ebonheart castle? That's tough, how big was it?
And once again, how big is this ruin we have, can someone post a screenshot with the player in 3rd person next to the ruin please?

@Lestat: Sorry, I was going by the map I'm looking at, it has them seperated into cities, towns and villages (the cities are the capitals).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:31 am

dirnae wrote:
Wrong thread SGMonkey. tongue

BOLLOCKS! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:24 am

Quote :
And once again, how big is this ruin we have, can someone post a screenshot with the player in 3rd person next to the ruin please?
This is a screen from when the fort still had another texture:
https://2img.net/h/i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/Worsas/fortress.jpg

I'm an idiot. I just came to remember that I had agreed on an interior set that is to be made from an pre-existing one a while ago.
Nevertheless I would like to make one from scratch now as the castle was also made from scratch and I think its worth it even if we're going to use it a few times only.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Tbh, I thought it was bigger than that. If we do decide to give each ruin a large, grand hallway, we should be able to stick to 3 floors, which should be a lot easier.
edit: actually, I'm forgetting the roof/attic area, ok 4 floors then, but it doesn't look like they have to be absolutely massive floors, and if we combine two floors into one interior it could make a very impressive dungeon.

What's your opinion on this guys?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 pm

dirnae wrote:
Tbh, I thought it was bigger than that. If we do decide to give each ruin a large, grand hallway, we should be able to stick to 3 floors, which should be a lot easier.
edit: actually, I'm forgetting the roof/attic area, ok 4 floors then, but it doesn't look like they have to be absolutely massive floors, and if we combine two floors into one interior it could make a very impressive dungeon.

What's your opinion on this guys?

I like the idea of 4 floors, but I think we should also have a dungeon system in the underground....Maybe we could say that the ancient Altmer connected their strongholds with that dungeon system...It isn't really a need for a giant dungeon, maybe 2 are connected and tunnels to other ruins are collapsed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yeti
Trader
Trader

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Dirnae: I think the files were lost in some sort of forum error.
Haplo also seems to had run into difficulty adding it to TR_data.

Old Ebonheart was quite huge This is an old image
And even after two years TF was still only about 50-60% done with the interior.
I'm sure it will still end up being an impressive sight. Smile

Anyway back on topic Laughing

I think both of your propossals sound reasonable Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Ha, compared to that castle, our ruins are tiny.

Looking at that screenshot of the ruins, I'm perfectly satisfied with the size of the ruins now. I misunderstood the size from a previous screenshot.
Feel free to make a couple of ruins, and add towers to them too. As long as you don't go over the top, I like how it's looking. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Altmer Ruins in the Reach   

Back to top Go down

Altmer Ruins in the Reach
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2