Share | 

Falmer Ruins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Falmer Ruins   Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:37 am

Lore say the Falmer left NOTHING behind...that point don't allow us to put large exterior ruins on the landscape (unfortunally)...so I think our Falmer Ruin Exterior should only be a smaller entrance, maybe one or two broken arches and pillars and a few bricks...but I wanna do really HUGE Interior Dungeons (don't worry, I'll do them by myself).

We should talk about it later Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Falmer Ruins   Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:18 am

I think many people have been looking for traces of the Falmer, to no result, including the Nords who believe them to be tricksters, and the elves who wish to search for clues to what happened to their ancestors or lost brethren (like the High Elf in Solstheim).

This means, we should by no means make finding these an easy task (walking through the forest and, oh, what'd you know, a falmer ruin! Very Happy).
I suggest if there are going to be any visible falmer exteriors, these ruins should be in isolated harsh and difficult to live in regions (the falmer liked the cold, perhaps the mountains and glaciers to the north would be a good choice). And then still only use a couple of exteriors, to make them even harder to find.

We could have a couple in common regions, but they should be hidden even better, a.k.a behind a waterfall, or you have to go through a cave full of nasty critters to find the now underground ruins. In any case they should be a very rare find, to fit in with the lore nicely.

I don't think we should blatantly call them Falmer ruins. The Falmer are one of the great mysteries of Tamriel, if we create concrete evidence about them, it would be like making up an explanation for the dissapearance of the dwemer. Instead we should just suggest or allude to it. Perhaps a Nord says to you:

"I was in the mead hall the other day, and I overheard [Nord's Name] saying he found some strange ruins while traversing the mountains to the North. They were really wierd ruins he says, and he hadn't seen nothing like 'em before. Some say he must have uncovered an old daedric shrine, others think they're the ruins of the Falmer. I, however, think the drunkard needs to lay off the mead a little."

Oh, and seeing as these ruins would be really, really rare, I see no problems with having large dungeons.
What is going to be our largest dungeon btw? Labyrinthian would be a good choice for this, or the resting place of that King (Wulfarth?).
edit: I need to learn how to spell...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Falmer Ruins   Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Different than to the dwemer we know how the falmer disapeared...they chose their destinty with the massacre on the men, women and children of Saarthal which was named "the Night of Tears" later and the last survivors of the snowelves who were able to escape Ysgramor and his 500 companions melted with the other elves and their races...Also we know that the Falmer once were a renegade sect of the Aldmer who settled down in northern tamriel.

There is an old nord legend that says that survivors of the falmer (or better their offspring are still hidden in the ice caves high in the mountains of Skyrim.

I agree that the ruin exterior should be very small and hidden and not to recognize if the player is levitating...

The biggest dungeon will be Labyrinthian with it's endless corridors and twisted halls.

I think about 8-15 falmer ruins plus falmer artifacts in the provience of Skyrim...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Falmer Ruins   Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:36 pm

I was referring to Falmer culture in general being like the mystery of the dwarves, not their dissapearance. Which is why I don't think we should say for certain that our ruins are falmer ruins. Leaving it ambiguous and mysterious has more of the Elder Scrolls style to it.

There is no definitive answer to why the Falmer dissapeared, some believe through interbreeding, others by genocide by the Nords, and others believe they became the reiklings or ice warriors from shadowkey.

The falmer aren't mentioned in the Night of Tears are they? The slaughter was performed by elves, but it didn't specifically say Falmer IIRC.

Very little is known about the Falmer, most of it is guessing. The people of Tamriel are even unsure whether the Falmer are ancestors of the modern reiklings in Solstheim, a now extinct race, or the ice warriors from shadowkey. I don't think we should make our own falmer and feature them in the mod, and the Nordic rumours about them are most likely wive's tales.

Also all elven races, the dumner, dwemer, altmer, bosmer and I think the orcs as well, and also the bretons from interbreeding of aldmer with human races (giving them magic skill), are descended from the original elven race of the aldmer (the altmer are different from the original aldmer btw).

Sources of Lore on the Falmer that I know of:
http://www.imperial-library.info/fsg/nazzarticle3.shtml A discussion on whether the Falmer are the modern day reiklings by an ES fan.
http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/bm_aevar.shtml Skaal book that talks of the Falmer as tricksters and enemies of the all-father from solstheim skaal religion.
http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/bm_snow_prince.shtml Talks of fights between the Falmer and the Nords on Solstheim (not skyrim).
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Falmer UESP article on the falmer, very useful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Falmer Ruins   Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Leaving the ruins mysterious sounds good, also there is no special need for falmer race NPC's...I think about ruin interior like the ayleid ruins, only without defentely saying that they are falmer ruins...they should be filled with undead and other creatures and contain a number of unknown artifacts.

We should chat about more falmerish details this weekend if you have time, I won't spoil too much details to the public.

Last edited by Lestat DeLioncourt on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad

PostSubject: Re: Falmer Ruins   Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Yeah, I'll have time, we'll chat about it later then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yeti
Trader
Trader

PostSubject: Re: Falmer Ruins   Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Brilliant stuff guys. cheers

I can already tell these things are going to be epic!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Falmer Ruins   

Back to top Go down

Falmer Ruins
Page 1 of 1